More bad news I’m afraid this week for the arts. The Arts Council of Northern Ireland have indicated to a range of revenue-funded organisations that they must plan for in-year cuts. For most, it will mean considering cuts once again. For many, it may mean upping ticket prices or cutting programmes. For some; redundancies, with no hope of attractive packages to cushion the blow. And perhaps for others; considerations of more drastic measures, like closure.
- In general, poverty levels have increased between 2012/13 and 2013/14. This was more marked for some population groups than for others.
- 21% of individuals were in poverty in 2013/14, approximately 376,000 individuals. This is an increase from 19% the previous year
- 23% of children were in poverty in 2013/14, 101,000 children. This is an increase from 20% the previous year.
- 20% of working-age adults were in poverty in 2013/14, approximately 213,000 working-age adults. This is an increase from 18% the previous year
- 21% of pensioners were in poverty in 2013/14, approximately 63,000 pensioners. This is an increase from 20% the previous year